Chapter 22 of the Municipal Code sets forth the regulations governing the abatement of nuisances in our community. The Building Services Department is responsible for investigating nuisance complaints and works with property owners and other responsible parties to abate the nuisance in a timely manner.
In summary, the Municipal Code for Nuisance is:
Anything which is injurious to health, including, but not limited to, the illegal sale of controlled substances, or is indecent or offensive to the senses, or an obstruction to the free use of property, so as to interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property, or unlawfully obstructs the free passage or use, in the customary manner, of any navigable lake, or river, bay, stream, canal, or basin, or any public park, square, street, or highway, is a nuisance.
A nuisance shall also mean:
- Any public nuisance known under common law or equity; or
- Any attractive nuisance which may prove dangerous or detrimental to any person; or
- Any condition that is dangerous to human life, unsafe, or detrimental to the public health or safety, including the accumulation of trash or junk and the existence of dangerous buildings as defined under the International Property Maintenance Code.
- If you believe there is a nuisance in your neighborhood that warrants a response from the City of Cedar Rapids, please contact our office.
Complaints may be filed with the Building Services Department or the City Manager’s Office in person, by mail, telephone, or e-mail.
When making a report, please provide the following information:
- The specific address or location where the nuisance is located
- Description of the nuisance
- Your name, address and phone number. Anonymous complaints will be investigated, but please provide your name and contact information if you would like to be advised of the findings of the investigation.
Nuisance Abatement Hearings are held twice each month on Tuesdays alternating with City Council meetings, when cases are pending. Cases are heard by an appointed, volunteer hearing examiner.