HomeCRN > ZionBaptist

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1960's photo of the congregation

Mount Zion Baptist Church is the second oldest black congregation in Cedar Rapids. It has long served as a religious and social center for many African Americans. The congregation was formally established in 1914. One year later it purchased its first building—the former Hus Presbyterian Church—which stood here at 824 South 8th Street. After a fire destroyed that structure in the 1950s, the congregation built a new church. Following the 2008 flood, the congregation relocated to a new church (6621 C Avenue NE) and the 8th Street building was demolished. Mount Zion members were instrumental in founding the African American Museum of Iowa.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login