The Warner Building, later the Ilten Building was constructed by Thomas Warriner, a former city engineer, in 1911-1912 as the first major commercial building on a residential block on 3rd Avenue between 2nd and 3rd Streets SW. Cedar Rapids engineer H. J. Bishop was responsible for the design. The two-story brick building with three storefronts and office space on second story housed butchers, grocers, bottling works, and tobacco works, among other businesses. Rowell Hardware relocated here from another building on 3rd Avenue in 1936. It was renamed the Ilten Building in late 1940s after Ilten Hardware purchased the building. A service station building at No. 225 was attached to main building.
Download this plaque (PDF format)