HomeCRN > SheriffOffice

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1940 photo of Cedar Rapids Police Station

The Cedar Rapids Police Station was built in 1937 on the site of the old Fourth Ward Madison School. Designed by Cedar Rapids architect Charles B. Zalesky in the Art Moderne style, it is faced with beige brick with Bedford limestone trim and has a central projecting entrance. Funded as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project, it housed police headquarters and the city jail. Before moving to this site, the police department had occupied the old King Building on 1st Street SW. Previously the police had shared the old Smulekoff’s building on May’s Island with city hall. The Linn County Sheriff’s Office took over the building in 1997.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login