Roosevelt Junior High School, now a middle school, was built in 1921-1923 to serve the West Side as Cedar Rapids was expanding its public school system with the addition of junior high schools. The school was named in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt. The three-story red brick and stone building was designed by Cedar Rapids architect Bert Rugh in the Collegiate Gothic style, a popular choice for school architecture of the period. Hexagonal towers flank the Gothic arched entrance. Until 1935, Roosevelt was exclusively a junior high school. In the fall of 1935, Roosevelt Senior High School was incorporated into the complex after the building was enlarged by Cedar Rapids architect William J. Brown. The last senior high class graduated in 1957, and Roosevelt again became a junior high school.
Download this plaque (PDF format)