Paramount Pharmacy West at 1718 Johnson Avenue NW, The History Center clipping files, 1959.
This one story structure at the “northeast” corner of Johnson Avenue and 18th Street NW was built in 1958 and opened on July 17th, 1959. For over 30 years, this was occupied by the very popular Paramount Pharmacy. This was the pharmacy’s west side store, and it was named after their original store next to the Paramount Theatre in downtown Cedar Rapids. Milo Chehak’s family operated several Paramount Pharmacy locations in the city throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s. This was a great place to not only get prescriptions, but also items like small gifts, cards, and assorted candy for kids. Paramount Pharmacy West was located here until shortly after 1990.
Mark W. Stoffer Hunter, Research Historian, The History Center