HomeCRN > Old Holiday Inn

CEDAR RAPIDS NEIGHBORHOODS

Old Holiday Center

Architect's drawing of the new Holiday Inn at 2501 Williams Boulevard SW, The History Center clipping files, June 1960.

 After World War II, two new highway routes were firmly established on the west side of Cedar Rapids. Highway 30 had been rerouted to 16th Avenue SW in 1939 and an   extension of 16th Avenue SW from the Rockford Road SW overpass to Johnson Avenue SW had been completed as well. In addition, the new Highway 149, later known as Highway 151, was established between Cedar Rapids and the Amana Colonies to the west. In the city, the 151 road was named Williams Boulevard, named for a family farm that existed before. In 1962, a brand new Holiday Inn    Hotel complex opened near the intersection of both   highways. The main entrance to the Holiday Inn was at this location. The hotel declined after the highways were moved in the mid 1980’s, and the Holiday Inn was           demolished in the early 2000’s.

Mark W. Stoffer Hunter, Research Historian, The History Center

 

© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login