Old grocery store structure at 1801 Johnson Avenue NW, Sold in January 1972 for $37,500, Now part of the Hy-Vee parking lot, The History Center clipping files.
Opened in 1960, this is the oldest Hy-Vee grocery store location in Cedar Rapids. For almost five years, the Johnson Avenue store was also the only Cedar Rapids Hy-Vee. In 1963, Hy-Vee created their famous “shopping cart” logo and began their “Helpful Smile In Every Aisle” slogan, which was created by a Cedar Rapids advertising firm. In the 1960’s and 70’s, the Hy-Vee building was next to an older neighborhood grocery store structure that stood next to the corner of Johnson Avenue and 18th Street NW. In 1953, this was the Cambridge Clover Farm Grocery store. The older building was later demolished for a larger Hy-Vee parking lot. In the early 1950’s, the Sunset Court Tourist Camp existed where the Hy-Vee is now.
Mark W. Stoffer Hunter, Research Historian, The History Center