HomeCRN > HoseHouse2

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1938 photo of Hose House #2

This fire station was constructed in 1908-1909 as Cedar Rapids was expanding its fire protection services to meet the needs of growing residential neighborhoods, factories, and industrial services. Designed by Cedar Rapids architects Josselyn and Taylor in a Prairie style, it is characteristic of local fire station plans with a large vehicle entrance and garage on the first story and dormitories and bedrooms for the firemen and officers on the second story. The walls of dark red Boone brick are surmounted by hipped roofs. After the fire department moved out in 1985, the building was used by the city transportation department until it was flooded in 2008.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login