HomeCRN > GreekOrthodox

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1949 photo of the dedication ceremony

The St. John the Baptist congregation was established by the Cedar Rapids Greek immigrant community in 1938. It was the fifth Greek Orthodox congregation in Iowa. Construction began on a church building in 1940 with space left for the installation of the cornerstone (with the date of 1940 A.D.), which took place in 1944. The church was dedicated on August 28, 1949, with over 500 people in attendance. The red brick building with its center cupola with cross above the entrance is designed in a modern version of the Georgian Revival style.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login