HomeCRN > GrantVocational

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1930 photo of Grant Vocational High School

This school was built in 1914-1915 as a specialized high school for vocational training in a wide variety of manual arts and skilled trades such as machining, carpentry, and industrial baking for both women and men. The three-story red brick building was designed by Cedar Rapids architect William J. Brown who based his plans on contemporary vocational training schools in Chicago. After 1924, Grant was converted to a regular academic high school with general vocational training to serve the West Side. When Grant closed in 1935, students transferred to Roosevelt Senior High School. Between 1940 and 2008, the building served as administrative offices for the Cedar Rapids School District.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login