Grace Episcopal is the third oldest church congregation in Cedar Rapids. Its first building was constructed at this location between1851 and 1856, then expanded in 1873 with a chapel faced with Anamosa stone, a type of rough-cut limestone. The complex was enlarged with a new sanctuary in 1890 on the site of the original church to designs by Josselyn and Taylor. The Romanesque Revival style of the new building blended with the Gothic Revival of the earlier sections. Because of structural problems, the 1890 sanctuary was demolished in 1948, leaving the chapel in place. A brick-faced addition dating from 1962 is located on the south side.
Download this plaque (PDF format)