HomeCRN > FirstReformed

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1928 photo of the First Reformed Church

This church was organized as a congregation of Czech-Bohemian immigrants affiliated with the Reformed Church denomination. The first section was built in 1906. The church was enlarged in 1911-1912 with the auditorium designed on the semicircular Akron plan with curving rows and no center aisle and new primary entrance front by Cedar Rapids architect William J. Brown. The building was dedicated on September 22, 1912. It has a gable front and prominent side tower with intersecting gabled wings. It is faced with beige-white brick, has modest Gothic detail of Bedford limestone, and is set on a foundation of Anamosa stone, a type of rough-cut limestone. It is now owned by Relevant Ministries.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login