HomeCRN > CRPump

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1899 drawing of the CR Pump Company plant

Cedar Rapids Pump Company was established in 1881. In 1884, it located on a site to the west of Chicago and North Western railroad tracks. The company manufactured wood and iron pumps for windmills, wooden stock tanks, soil pipe, and various fittings. It expanded into a wholesale iron pipe and plumbers’ supply business. The company’s first building contained manufacturing, office, and shipping spaces. A brick warehouse designed by local contractor A. H. Connor was added in 1901, and machine shops were later added to the factory building. The buildings were acquired in 1974 by the Cedar Rapids Community School District for warehouse use. The 1901 warehouse is now the Ellis Lofts townhouses.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login