HomeCRN > CRCityHall

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1935 photo of what is now City Hall

Cedar Rapids City Hall has been located in the former U.S. Federal Building since 2012, after the Veterans’ Memorial Building housing City Hall on May’s Island was inundated by floods in 2008. It was built in 1931-1933 on the east bank of the Cedar River as part of a new civic center complex. Designed under the supervision of William Wetmore, Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury, the Classical Revival style building is faced with limestone and has massive two-story columns at the upper stories. Murals on the theme of “Law and Culture” are placed in the lobby and former courtroom. They were painted by Tom Glassell, Everett Jeffrey, Harry Jones, and Robert Francis White working under the WPA Artists Program.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login