HomeCRN > Coffits

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1988 photo of the building

The Coffits Building was constructed in 1903-1904 to house the ice cream and confectionary business of Henry W. Coffits. It was called “the most elaborate confectioner’s establishment in the state.” The three-story brick-faced commercial style building incorporates the name in a carved stone plaque set in the curved pediment. The design is distinguished by a stone base, brick columns, and other decorative brickwork. After 1910 the building housed taverns and restaurants on the first story, and art engravers and other printing enterprises on the second floor. It has been the home of Hall Bicycle since 1977.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login