HomeCRN > CoeCollege

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1911 view of the Coe Campus

Coe College was founded by Presbyterian minister Williston Jones in 1851. Its buildings and grounds were established beginning in 1853. The college went by different names, including “Cedar Rapids Collegiate Institute” and “Parsons Seminary,” before being named Coe College in 1881 after benefactor Daniel Coe. From its earliest days, Coe has been open to and attended by men and women from many backgrounds, races, and religions. Though its initial structures no longer stand, much of Coe’s present main campus dates to the first half of the twentieth century—including its distinctive central “quad.”

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login