HomeCRN > Chandler Mansion

CEDAR RAPIDS NEIGHBORHOODS

Chandler Mansion

Chandler family mansion at 1304 First Avenue NW, The History Center photograph collection, 1905.

 This large home at 1304 First Avenue NW was built in 1893 for the family of Charles H. Chandler of Cedar Rapids. In 1890, the Chandler family created the     Chandler Pump Company factory located down the hill at 804 First Avenue NE, just west and adjacent to the Chicago & Northwestern railroad tracks. Chandler was a major supporter of west side Cedar Rapids industry and development and wanted to not only create jobs for west side residents but to help create a west side “mansion” district at the top of the hill overlooking the city center. When this large home was built, it was at the far west end of the Cedar Rapids city limits. The home was converted to apartments by the 1930’s.

Mark W. Stoffer Hunter, Research Historian, The History Center

 

© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login